'Palette Knife Portraits' with Mark Fennell - Nov 17 – 18, 2020
TWO DAY WORKSHOP
Suitable for students with some oil painting experience and more advanced students.
Palette knife portrait painting in oils with Mark Fennell RBSA
Nov 17 – 18, 2020
Learn how to paint bold expressive portraits with painting knives.
Explore Knife painting techniques, laying the paint on thick to create a rich painting full of texture and energy.
The day will start with a short demonstration followed by lots of one on one tuition to help you paint a powerful and convincing impasto portrait with painting knives.
Suitable for students with some oil painting experience.
What to Bring:
● A good high resolution photographic reference of a subject of your choice or a a range of good quality images will be provided.
● 2x pre primed and grounded canvases or boards. minimum size approx 16” x 14”.
● 2x good quality long handled, short flat hog brushes sizes 4 and 10 preferred but not essential.
● Palette knifes - minimum requirement Winsor and Newton sizes 20, 30 and 21 or similar, see image of knives below. (Quality knives please, no plastic knives.)
● Zest It or similar odourless paint thinners also bring a dipper pot to hold the thinners.
● Good size flat mixing palette (No paper palettes please)
● Oil colours as follows - titanium white, naples yellow, cadmium yellow pale, yellow ochre, cadmium red, alizarine crimson, burnt sienna, french ultramarine and ivory black.
● Please ensure you bring a carrier for taking home your wet painting. Mark recommends buying some carrier clips (they attach at each corner of the canvas
to keep wet canvases apart.)
● Sticks of charcoal (optional)
Please bring plenty of tissues or rags plus a carrier bag for dirty rags and tissues.